8 Miles!

6 Jan

Today our group run was 8 miles! A new distance for me. We had Gatorade at our two aid stations today. I was not a fan. I took a couple of sips each time and poured the rest out. Bleh.

Unfortunately due to trying to eat all of the bad food in my refrigerator and pantry (more on that later), my stomach was already not thrilled to be on the move for that amount of time. Nothing too terrible happened. I just felt my stomach cramp up after each Gatorade, and I had this conversation with myself both times: “Are you going to throw up? No? Good. Just don’t throw up. You only have to finish.”

I actually talked to myself a lot during this run. Only sometimes out loud. Both times were during hills where I had a sort of Little Engine That Could chant going on. I kept whispering to myself, “You can do this. You can do this.” Luckily nobody was around.

The fact that nobody was around turned out to be very unlucky later. I was right in the middle of the pack, and there was a guy in a green windbreaker up ahead that I tried to keep in my line of vision. (I was in a tank top by the way. It was a glorious day. I don’t know how that guy was able to keep a pullover on the entire time.) We did our usual route, but when we got back to the start, there was another little loop around part of campus. Our coach explained the route twice and I thought, “There is no way I will remember that. I will just try to follow everyone.” He had an aid station set up at our usual start/finish and as I grabbed my Gatorade he tried to explain the route again. I just couldn’t follow. He mentioned maybe five roads and it was “turn left, then turn left, then turn right . . . .” I still don’t know. Anyway, I sort of stopped to listen to him and lost sight of green shirt guy. I turned on the correct road to begin with, but then couldn’t find/remember what the next turn was.

Basically I looped back to rerun the last bit of our usual route. Then, I wasn’t sure it was far enough, so I started weaving back the way I came down random roads. I ended up stumbling on to our group. I knew it was them because one of the guys was running in khakis (like the long kind) which I remember thinking was super odd. I probably went just a little bit further than I had to. I told our coach what I had done and he said I had probably run about the same distance as everyone else.

I have some blisters on the outside of my big toes, but nothing too ugly. Also, my ankles started really hurting towards the end. I talked to our coach about this last week. I don’t think it’s anything to be concerned about, because originally they hurt after three or four miles. Now they start hurting around mile six. So I think they are just having to adjust/get stronger for the new distance each week. They stop hurting as soon as I stop running, so it’s uncomfortable, but I’m not worried.

After the run, I was ready for a nap. I didn’t take one, but I did sit around in bed in my dirty workout clothes for a couple of hours reading blogs.


Henry did take a nap.



What do you think of Gatorade during runs?

How long do you sit around in your dirty workout clothes?



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: